There's simply no denying that good eyesight is important. There are a number of foods that may be beneficial to maintaining good eyesight. Here is my top ten list of eye friendly foods:
1) Carrots. You've never seen a rabbit wearing glasses, have you? Of course not. Carrots are rich in Vitamin A. It is widely thought that a lack of Vitamin A in the diet can lead to poor eyesight.
2) Sweet Potatoes. Like carrots, sweet potatoes are a good source of Vitamin A. Generally, any
3) Spinach. Popeye may look like he was squinting most of the time, but I assure you his eyesight was as good as his strength from all the spinach he ate. Green leaf vegetables are rich in lutein and zeaxanthin which are thought to prevent cataracts.
4) Eggs. Eggs combine the best of carrots and sweet potatoes. They provide both Vitamin A and lutein. Both are considered to be good preventatives of macular degeneration.
5) Salmon. There are some choices for eye friendly food that are not fruits or vegetables. Salmon is a great eye friendly food. First, it has Vitamin A. Second, it has Omega-3 fatty acids, which is also thought to promote eye health.
6) Avocados. Avocados are absolutely packed with lutein. In fact, they contain more lutein than most fruits and vegetables. They also are a good source of Vitamins A and C. If you make a batch of guacamole using onions and garlic and serve it on a bed of fresh green lettuce, you are looking at an outstanding eye healthy appetizer or snack!
7) Garlic. Though your breath may stink, at least you'll be able to see who's running away from you. Garlic contains Vitamin C which helps with keeping your cornea healthy.
8) Onions. Along with garlic, onions will send your friends running. However, onions are also a source of sulfur. Sulfur helps create antioxidants, which protect the eye's lens.
9) Squash. Squash is loaded with vitamins such as A, C, E and Beta-Carotene that are good for better daytime vision.
10) Blueberries. This one came as a surprise to me. I would never have guessed that blueberries helped promote better night vision. Blueberries are a great source of anthocyanins, which do just that. In fact, the night vision benefits of blueberries can be noticed in under an hour with only a cup of them!